Friday 11 October 2013

Welcome

Hi everyone, I’m Will and I’m a masters student at UCL in London studying Environmental Modelling. I’m sure you can see from the title of this blog, I am interested in the future of Britain’s energy industry, especially ways in which the sector will have to adapt and evolve over the coming decades in order to power the nation.

As I’m sure many of you know, the last few decades have brought a vast rise in environmentally friendly consumerism, including rises in recycling and the increasing use of products such as electric cars in order to limit the impact that we as a species have on our planet. This population-wide change in disposition towards an eco-friendly mind set has also impacted heavily on our production of energy. This has largely manifested itself in changes in fuel sources from fossil fuels to ‘cleaner’ energy sources with lower CO2 emissions. 

Environmental change and energy production’s effect on it has long been a fully charged debate (pun intended). However, energy production and indeed all topics that are linked with the environment are at the forefront right now due to the recent release of the Intergovernment Panel on Climate Change’s (IPCC) recent report.

In this blog, I will discuss the different methods by which Britain will use (and is using) in order to fuel itself in the near future, along with the advantages and disadvantages that I believe each of them will bring to the table. The blog will also take a look at different energy companies’ approaches to these issues as well as general energy news. Hopefully you’ll find it interesting and I welcome any comments and queries you may have.


I’ve also included a link to a summary of the IPCC report in case anyone wants a brief outline of what it entails and BP’s Review of 2013’s energy trends:



2 comments:

  1. Hi Will - I'm interested in energy policy and energy infrastructure investment in the UK so am really looking forward to seeing what you discuss on here. I've just written something about the recent energy price debate and would be interested to hear your thoughts: http://green-transition.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/a-brief-comment-on-energy-price-debate.html

    Also are you studying the EPEE MSc? If you are I'd be grateful if you could let me know how you're finding it as I'm thinking about pursuing an energy policy masters next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Agnes, I look forward to having a look at your blog. I'm studying the Environmental Modelling MSc which is a bit of policy mixed with computer modelling. I'm enjoying it so far and if you're thinking of doing a masters at UCL I would recommend it.

      Delete